Saturday, March 23, 2013

'I Do'

A new blog header, and a lot of things happening....

From the beginning of 2012 I've been drawing like there's no tomorrow ;-) and I felt very strongly about this drawing of mine was going somewhere, that this is a journey I just have to proceed. Have to because I just can't stop drawing and I'm loving it so much, it makes me so very happy to do it. I can't imagine how my life before drawing was ;-).....I've been drawing since I was little, but since the last year I really discovered that drawing is what I simply HAVE to do. Secretly I hoped that I could become better and better and maybe, maybe I could do something with my drawing professionally in the future.
I knew I still had and have so much to learn and I want to. Learn. Drawing lessons are part of my journey and I've loved them ever since I started them. The teacher and the environment with very talented fellow students are so inspirational and encouraging. I'm following the lessons at Studio Kolectiv.

The other day, my drawing teacher asked me if I wanted to do something with my drawing :-). She's been complimenting me about my progress the last months and I can remember she asked me this question before, a few months ago. That day I answered...."no....it will be difficult...bla bla bla...". A lot of bla bla because I was too scared to admit I DO want to do something with my drawing professionally. Funny I was so scared to admit it. She or someone else could think: "well well, she wants to draw or illustrate professionally...this girl has a lot to learn, what is she thinking...".

But this time around, I was brave! I answered: "Yes, I would like that!" It felt so good and encouraging she finds my drawings good enough to do something with it professionally maybe. She said that I should work on my photo-editing skills in that case. This is indeed in my planning for the next months: working on my Photoshop and Illustrator skills.

So I felt encouraged and brave enough to finally call my blog ' Esther Lankhaar Illustration'. I had the feeling I was heading in this direction but I wasn't brave enough before to say it out loud, because I wasn't sure I was and would be good enough and I wasn't ready for it yet. But now things are coming together and my teacher gave me a little push in the right direction at the right time. To at least be brave enough to say 'I do'. :-)

To be continued! :-D

11 comments:

  1. Way go go!! That's a huge step of courage!! :) And yes, I agree - you should go for your dreams with your illustration work! How awesome that you have a mentor to help you & encourage you Esther!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much for your encouragement Heidi!! :-)

      Delete
  2. That's really so soooo nice! Great news. I'm so happy for you that you are in good hands and on the right path and I'm eagerly waiting what is waiting for you behind that corner :)

    Go Esther, go!

    And I must admit I find this header of yours much better than the previous ones. Although, I'd slip in one of those portraits you did for your assignments and that night stand/drawer. You know... to show your versatility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D Thank you Nini!! Good advice on the header, I"ll try out some variations of this one, good idea to see how it looks when I slip in of those other drawings you mentioned.

      Delete
  3. Good for you, Esther! Your drawing is wonderful and it should be out there in the world for all to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! The new header is great. You will be a super success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Esther, I can really relate to your post, especially the opening paragraph. Congratulations to you on crossing that line! You are very talented x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! This post is really encouraging and I do understand what you feel. I have been through this kind of feeling from time to time. The only way for us is to move forward and make it happen! Can't wait to go along with your creative journey. Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I feel it's hard to say "yes" because we believe we need to have it all figured out before we take the first step. Isn't that funny... because the first step IS saying yes! :) And you did. Great post, Esther.

    I watched the video on the studio's website and I immediately wished I were there at the table drawing! What a great atmosphere. Thanks for sharing your journey. xo

    ReplyDelete