Saturday, January 5, 2013

Drawing in the Sun

During the last two weeks of december I was in Florida, Bonita Springs for a holiday with my family (my parents, sister, her husband and my two nephews). My parents were married 40 years last year, so to celebrate, they took us on a vacation. Florida with its sunny weather was a very wellcome change of scenery, because of the rainy and dark winterweather in the netherlands where I live. We enjoyed ourselves very much, we enjoyed the sun, went to the beach, went shopping and took a boat-tour through the Everglades. My little 4 year old nephew had two favourite things this vacation: the pool at our vacation house and the mini-golf place near our house. :-)

I brought my drawing equipment, but i didn't draw that much: too busy being lazy ;-).
I did make two drawings though. The first drawing is of a very good thing: a decent cup of coffee (empty mug in the the drawing ;-)). when I was drawing this, I went to the toilet and when I came back, my little nephew helped me a bit with the drawing. He added the line around the drawing ;-). My sister was a little mad he did this to my drawing without asking. I could hear a conversation about it when I was on the toilet and was curious what I would find my drawing like when I came back;-). It wasn't that bad as I saw it and I said: Well, that's o.k., but just ask the next time." My nephew said to his mother: "Aunt Es says that I can do it." I found this quite funny and now the drawing is a collaboration, I kind of like that. I asked my nephew to write his name on the drawing, so it's clear we made this drawing together :-). The second drawing has no story, it's just something I felt like drawing ;-).








15 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet! I do like the line your nephew drew. It's very like the lines I've drawn around some of my drawings in the Sketchbook project. He took lots of care to encircle your work and make it complete adding to it in a most beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't this sweet Suzi? It looks good in a way I wouldn't have come up with :-).

      Delete
  2. Oh really lovely portrait, and I LOVE that he helped you with the drawing! My son used to "help" with mine too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile. So beautiful that you honored his "decision" to participate in your drawing. It might make all the difference in his future. Interesting to see what he chose to do - of all the things he could have added to your drawing, right?

    Gorgeous "drawing with no story", too! It does have a story... in the mind of the viewer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those gorgeous flowers behind the portrait remind me or look like they are embroidered there. It would be great if they were I think, it would be a kind of very special mixed media piece.

    Lovely story from the first drawing to :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies!
    @ Sandra: it's quite nice right, he encircled my drawing ;-)?
    @ Nini To make a mixed- media piece with embroidering in it too would be a great idea! I'm afraid I'm too impatient to actually start doing it though...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post, Esther! I like the two drawings a lot. The one with the story and the one without :-) Both sweet and such a great location to draw! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow the portrait is beautiful. Love how your nephew is so involved :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your illustrations - just found you on the piece a week fb page. i'm your newest follower. cm

    ReplyDelete